Thursday, August 13, 2026

After I crashed my first RC plane, a Goldberg high wing trainer, my friend felt so bad about it he gave me some of his old planes. 


 This one really flew well but it was hard to start the McCoy .40. I flew it once, I think. 

This three channel job flew better and I had a new O.S. .10 in it but I didn't fly it much either. I was tired of prop-flipping, buying fuel, storing fuel, and driving something like ten miles to get to the flying field. I really never wanted my flying to be a social event. I never wanted to deal with the presence of other planes in the air, observing club rules, or messing with frequency boards, to see who else might be using your frequency. But I built a few planes of my own, thinking that maybe someday I would discover a place to fly them far from any club field. I never did. I'll show those planes later. 

I had my cataract surgery yesterday, one eye only, the worst, and I might be able to fly again when it stabilizes and I have a new prescription, but my flying since 2010 has been all electric, all foamies, and in a park flyer mode. I belong to no club and refuse to drive to any modern "FRIA". This forces me now to stay sub-250 gram. But that's OK! I have a lot of good sub-250 gram planes that fly very well, and I look forward to flying them again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment